Monday 28 May 2012

Little bit of everything...

Panels

1. Drivers footwell panel
    Fitted, drill panel, cleanup, drill chassis - not installed yet

2. Passenger footwell panel
    Fitted - ready for drilling

Note:
    Interesting note on both these front footwell panels, the laser cutter puts in a radius 180 degrees out producing an external curve rather than internal, filed away easily enough though.

3. Main seat back panel
    Fitted - ready for drilling

There is method in the madness - I wanted a good job lot of panels ready to fit before opening the bond - I'll aim to have the drivers site tunnel ready then bond/rivet all these in place.

Pedal box

Fitted this multiple times until I got it right; The bushes were persuaded in with a little filing to remove the powder coat (i have bought a drum sander kit before I go near the suspension).

The tube through the pedal bushes took an age to hand size with emery paper. Now, if I had a lathe it would have been easy, tried to jury rig the drill to rotate it while I sanded but couldn't mount it in the chuck so simply resorted to manual sanding until the pedals had a tight fit but can move under their own weight.

Note:
  Need to play with the steering column setup - it seems very close to the brake pedal right now & I'll have to make sure they can't foul each other.

Note:
  All three pedals had the wrong size cable/pushrod hole, which I only noticed after they were mounted.
  Accelerator needs 5mm, Brake 8mm, Clutch 6mm.
  All sizes I only had old drill bits for - but got there eventually

Master Cylinder

Simple fit & gives me a fixed point for the brake lines - I think I have cut the push rod bolt too short though - I may have to replace and rework it. (Turns out its just an M8 bolt)


A little adjustment required here, the flange on the column fouls the brake pedal right now:

Brake Lines

Just unrolled them for now - a bit of practice with bending them and unrolling from their packed state.

Routed the cylinder to back end line, it seems too long right now - I'm going to double check the routing before anything is fixed.

Note:
  The 4 way brake line connector for the rear end comes with a rivnut, however I appear to have a much larger hole in the chassis to mount it, needs a little research.