Thursday 21 June 2012

Propshaft

Thinking about assembly sequence, I offered up the propshaft and its tight to get the flange through the chassis. It might even be impossible to do this with the gearbox in situe. I get another benefit, the diff cannot move fore/aft so now with the propshaft in this gives me a datum for the gearbox input shaft fore/aft:

Double checked the diff flange bolt torque, then bolts/threadlock and torqued the four prop shaft bolts. I used the steel bar from my vice to lock the UJs in place to tighten everything.


Later pictures, I hung the shaft from the frame & covered the end with a rag - as the car is moved about it all moves & this just stops it banging/clanging around the chassis until I install the gearbox.


On the gearbox it is roughly 9.25" from the bottom mount point to the output shaft, and roughly exactly the same distance if the mounting rubber is centre/slightly front of centre on the chassis.

I am therefore delaying installing the gearbox mount rubber until I have measured this properly or possibly actually offered the gearbox into position: Turns out its fine - I later decided to install the mount rubber centrally & didn't run into any problem fitting the gearbox later.