Sunday 17 June 2012

Rear hub/calliper & brake line

Before fixing the hand brake cable I wanted to understand the route; so decided to fit one of the half shafts, hub assembly.

This let me understand how the brake bracket fitted, which way round to put the hub bolts etc.  None of this is torqued up yet - purely done to understand layout, the caliper has to come off anyway to fit the disc, pads & to be bled.

Rear Brake hub/caliper fixing:

Worked out from other blogs the order from inboard to out is:
  1. Zero rear upright
  2. Zero caliper mount bracket - flat side inboard
  3. Shaft hub
  4. Calliper on upside down - otherwise there is no route for the handbrake cable
The shaft CV joints will compress to allow this to go together & the bolts are just long enough to get a nut on before tightening them up a little each and pulling everything snuggly together:

I decided to put the bracket bolt heads inboard, and nuts outboard - this means

  1. I could place the bolts in the holes and push on the hub/bracket assembly just enough to get a nut on before tightening it.
  2. I can remove them without having to remove the hub nuts & once the hub nuts are finally tightened they are never coming off - thought - thats what the big holes in the wheel hub are for! - inserting the bolts.
Addendum:
The more I look at this, bolts inboard, nuts outboard - the more I dislike it, looks nasty - I'll be swapping it round I think...

Update - when changing and maintaining the bearings the nuts will be going back on the outside - much easier to get a spanner to on a built up car!

 Identified handbrake cable route, The P clip will sit on the rear upright:

Addendum:
The cable will actually route lower than this and go under the top wishbone arm in the picture.


Everything in situe - I used the original old hub nuts to pull the hubs back onto the shaft splines, I have new hub nuts when I'm sure this isn't coming off again - I dont know if I can get the wheel studs back into it while assembled like this (should have thought of that earlier :) )

Caliper bolts:

My kit had a bag marked 'rear calliper' which contained 12x M10x50 bolts/washers/nylocs - the rear callipers need 2xM10x40(ish) bolts.

50mm is definitely too long - they would foul the disc, I cut down a couple of the 50mm bolts to 40mm , I might re do it a couple of mm longer to allow for the washer. These bolts will be threadlocked in, I need to decide if they need a locking/shake proof washer too.

This 50mm if tightened would emerge from the other side of the calliper:

Note this was re-worked with locking washers behind the bolts and slightly longer 43mm bolts Here


2mm longer at 42/43mm total would have been perfect -or- do without the washer These need a locking washer & will be re-fitted later.


Due to the mystery 12x nuts/bolts bag I am only short some M10 washers now - might be due to my habit of placing a washer under the head as well as the nut of every bolt :)