Friday 8 June 2012

Rear nearside wishbones

I made a start on the suspension;
Pushing in the bushes was fine, I cleaned up the powder coat on the wishbones first with the drum sander attachment then applied a little grease. The bushes are very tight; started them carefully with a G-clamp and appropriate wood blocks to stop damage, then wound them home with the vice.

Rang GBS to double check on washers and installation and was told:

  1. Crush tubes to be the same length as the bushes are wide to give a flush face
  2. Large penny washers against the chassis components with a smaller washer to spread the load from the bolt head/nut
  3. Fit penny washers as required between the wishbones and brackets to be snug and avoid bending the brackets when tightening
  4. On the hub carrier - fit washers either side against the wishbone bushes
  5. Aim for a 'snug' fit


It took me 2-3 fittings to get things right first trying with crush tubes as delivered - about 0.5-1mm longer than the bushings, then after realising it looked wrong and calling GBS for the above advice, purchased a bench grinder from B&Q and did it properly!

I'm much happier with it now, just need a replacement long bottom bolt which I managed to bend, and the top bolts which are too short.



(Top nut here will have a penny washer too when I get the longer bolts)

The holes for the shock needed the wishbone powder coat carefully removing, I used the side of a smaller (8mm in the 10mm hole) drill bit to clean it out taking care not to actually widen the hole.

I understand here, between the wishbone and hub carrier on the inside, its important to have a washer; cleaned off the powder coat on the hub carrier so it fitted nicely.

This is the supplied 90mm bolt, I've not tightened the nyloc, no point - it needs another 10mm to be long enough.

Must have tool in my opinion, and a bargain at B&Q:



Note;
I did try fitting this wishbone (before the advice from GBS) and in forcing washers in managed to bend (not sure if I bent it or not - anyhow - its bent and needs replacing) one of the long 240mm bolts which runs through the bottom of the hub carrier.

Note;
The top bolt through the hub carrier needs to be about 100mm + long, and neither of the supplied kit bolts are long enough.

Nothing torqued up yet, I have read elsewhere it needs to be sitting on its wheels before tightening the suspension bolts.

No comments :

Post a Comment