Saturday 25 August 2012

Rear panel - on !


Third time install for the rear panel is now permanent.

I had to do a little work to adjust the spare wheel holes & re-drill the rivet points on the underside, I also spent some time trying to think of reasons not to install the panel - but I can't think of anything I have forgotten.

Rear loom

As planned I attached the panel to the roll bar stays at the top then could move the panel enough to get my hand between it and the fuel tank to install the loom. I installed the reversing & fog lamp cables + grommets as they pass through the panel. I have the standard GBS loom with plugs on the end of all cables & they just fit through the panel holes one at a time & just through the grommet:


Note, later I decided to use rivnuts for attaching the reversing and fog lamps (instead of the placeholder bolts/nuts in these pictures) and would have fitted them before mounting the panel ideally.

Bond & Rivet

Then bond and rivet, working from the centre to either side along the top shroud:

Double/treble checked the wiring was not pinched before completing the riveting, with the top/bottom & sides riveted the whole rear panel is rock solid: (a little Showroom Shine takes off the fingerprints. (Only buy it when its on offer 2 for 1 though :)

(Still haven't turned that suspension bolt around)

Remains only to fit the internal boot floor panels - after the wiring is completed & tested.

Fuel Filler pipe & cap

The fuel filler pipe is trimmed to fit and jubilee clips between the tank and fuel filler cap. I have the cap with a green insert (built in breather). The fiddle with this job is getting room to tighten the 6x 7mm nuts on the back of the filler - my socket wouldn't get in there but found a spanner the right size in my toolbox:


Quite a few steps to get the rear panel installed & a significant milestone which makes the car look more like a car - rewarding & enjoyable.