Saturday 15 September 2012

Wiring loom #1 - mostly engine loom

First real work on the wiring loom;

The rear loom is waiting for me to be in the mood to get under the car and fit the rear lights, the chassis & engine loom are standard GBS looms so simply plug together - however: I want to end up with a reasonably neat job & its taken a while for me to be in the right frame of mind to have a go.

The smiths oil pressure sender comes with its own fly-lead which is joined into a white connector:

The fixed point is the fuel rail lines; I'm running the intake side loom along the inside of the chassis tube, along with the alternator feed line. Many of the branches to TPS, Oil senders & Air temperature are over generous so need looping back on themselves to avoid any loose ends while leaving enough slack for the engine to move a little.

This is a dark picture, but I had to drop the fuel lines down a little on the left to give room for the loom:

HP Fuel pump cables come with push on ends, they are replaced with the keyed eyelets. I soldered them on and crushed them to make doubly sure.
    Brown line is ground and the larger eyelet,
    Grey line is +ve and the smaller eyelet.

This is the engine loom coming across the chassis, and back up where it will emerge behind the scuttle. I need to make sure the scuttle base is removable to provide access to this later on. On the top left the plug to the coil pack will not go on with the water pipe in place so I had to loosen the coil pack to install it.

Hindsight - this routing will sit right under the normally permanent battery tray with no access - I either need to make the flat tray accessible, or move it to the chassis cross member just behind.

2x Water temperature senders, I think its one for the gauges & 1 for the ECU. Many of these lines also seem to have short sheathing which I enhanced with electrical tape.

The GBS loom is completely labeled, which is great for assembly but looks a little like 'thunderbirds are go' once in place - I'm not sure yet if the labels are staying.

Nearside looking forwards, everything is just laid out for now; starting to get the battery/starter motor lines in place & bring the chassis loom forward:

Lots of effort, and very little to show for it - i.e. when its right its not that visible... its a start though!