Sunday 20 January 2013

Bonnet exhaust opening

The bonnet opening for the exhaust manifold is next up; 

I cut an cardboard template which lined up with the bonnet catches and sat flush on the chassis tube, then cut the actual hole shape from an A4 sheet of paper - starting small and just cutting until I had the shape I wanted, fixed the paper to the cardboard template and marked up to make sure nothing could move as I transferred the pattern to the bonnet: 

The whole template could then be lined up with the bonnet catches and the shape traced on. I then re-measured about 3-4 times - front catch to front of opening, rear catch to rear, rough height, front of bonnet to opening etc... just to make completely sure I was right before cutting anything:

Once I worked out the floor was the best cutting position, I took the dremel at 25k rpm and a metal cutting disc to it; the sharper corners took some care but really no issues at all:

Back on the car - looks to be right first time - it will have some trim around this edge in due course to keep the IVA man happy:

Looks pretty cool; + now the engine has run a couple of times the manifold has an interesting surface colour from the heat:

I need some cap head bolts as bonnet locators then the bonnet will be completed finished.