Sunday 3 February 2013

Boot cover

Now the wheel arches are in position the boot cover needs finishing;

I decided on 5 poppers along the back and two at each side:


The receiving end riveted onto the back of the car, I marked these first to be a straight line & avoiding the velco parts of the boot cover. With the cover offered in place I traced through, brass rubbing style, the position of the poppers onto masking tape;

Fitting the poppers with a £3 from ebay - I found it works best with a metal/solid bench underneath so ended up using my closed vice jaws to sit the tool on. Each popper has its hole drilled in the cover first then hammered over:

I'm using some tarpaulin eyes for the openings around the seat belt mounts in the top of the cover, they are cut to fit snuggly around the mounting points while sitting flush:

Riveting in the stainless bar across the back seat area was tricky, each rivet has to find its way through the bar, boot cover & into the chassis tube underneath:

Doesn't look bad:

I made a decision early on not to fit the GBS hood, so the cover is sitting direct on the boot area with no room for the hood bars.

Hindsight - I should have put the front most press stud right at the front corner of the cover. It's secure as built, but the front corner lifts when driving - I may adapt it later.