Thursday 21 March 2013

IVA - First try

Just back from the IVA

The appointment was for 8.30 am,  30 minute journey, but I set off at 7am to ensure I avoided as much traffic as possible and give myself some leway for any simple fixes en-route.

Car went like a bomb :) !!!
Couldn't help putting my foot down driving up Blue Bell hill; the limiting factor only my eyes without a windscreen at 70mph. Its the same feeling I had when Richard @ GBS took me for the test run last May & the clincher on the purchase. Its quite un-nerving at first to see the front wheels moving through the suspension range - but as close to fully open wheel you can legally get on the road.

Lots of concentration reversing out of the drive:

The big Sierra steering wheel looks a bit odd; but its a must for the tests:

Gloves on & Hat went on @ Maidstone - it was about about 6ºC today but luckily no rain:


I arrived at Gillingham with plenty of time and spent the day with the team there checking the car over. 3-4 Caterhams passing through on tests too. My tests ran from around 8.30 through 4pm; lots of tea on offer from the staff at the station & found a bacon sarny van around the corner for lunch - what more could you ask for!

Bottom line - failed on a fair number of points - some expected some not - most I can fix, a couple I'll need to think through the options;

Fail list:

  1. Noise - 101.2dbA recorded & needs to be under 99dbA
  2. Metered Emissions - first run the high rev range was fine but rich on idle, even with me tinkering it didn't seem to help so gave it up as a bad job. There is also noticed a small exhaust  leak around the lambda sensor which cannot be helping.
  3. Steering Effort - the steering rack gaiters were touching the bottom wishbone mount on one side & touching the side panel when on full lock the other.
  4. Indirect Vision - my side mirrors had too much shake/vibration. They are actually flexing the scuttle panel so possibly need some re-enforcement inside.
  5. Parking brake - took too much effort to get the required performance (see next item)
  6. Brake Performance - Rear not enough performance generally, whilst either side was balanced theres not enough braking force on the back end.
  7. Exterior Projections - The spring clip (the spring part) which secures the end of the silencer and lugs it hooks onto could be touched by the sphere. Suggestion is a small heat shield style guard around this area.

Fixed on site during the test:

  1. Headlamps - aligned using the test centre equipment.
  2. General Construction - a couple of areas where the engine loom needed a cable tie to secure it completely, notably the cable which connects to the injectors & my trim around the exhaust hole in the bonnet melted & had to be removed.

Informal discussion and suggestions

  1. Lock washers on the prop shaft bolts - I had thread lock which was good enough
  2. Fuel tank earthing - my explanation of the sender earth also bonded to the main tank was - good enough

Its a long enough list - but most items I can sort out myself.

The Noise may be related to the engine running too rich -or- could be my fault for advertising too high max revs on the forms. It might just be an excuse to book some time with HT Racing up the road at Brands Hatch to get it tuned correctly.

The rear brakes need a double check all around - re-bleed, check the pad condition, de-grease discs etc. I did de-grease the front discs & left the rears alone - to make sure the fronts out performed them - possibly I should have de-greased all round.

Possibly I'll use a local garage to run an MOT style test for me too before the next IVA attempt.

The re-test rules are 6 months to get through with as many re-tests as required (for a fee)



Excellent day - friendly team & VOSA Gillingham - Thanks Lawrence & colleagues.
Not a pass - but one step closer to getting her on the road & 33 miles on the clock.

No comments :

Post a Comment