Friday 29 March 2013

Steering rack adjustment

IVA picked up on the steering rack boots; the nearside boot was resting on the lower wishbone mount & offside was rubbing on the side panel when on full lock.

The only way I could get the rack centrally through the panel cutouts & missing the wishbone mounts was to raise it both sides; I made a couple of shims from off-cut aluminium sheet to lift the offside end 3mm:

I also filed back the corner of the chassis bracket to allow a few more mm height, making sure the rack lip still overlapped the chassis bracket to give left/right stability (Filed area was painted over after this picture):
Looking at this picture, I might replace the bolts with slightly longer ones - I'm right on the limit now

On the nearside I moved the thick spacer plate above the chassis mount - again to give a little more clearance over the wishbone mounts. I think I'm ok now - pictures of offside & nearside when on full lock - the boots don't touch anything now across the full steering travel:

The gaiters actually sit right above the wishbone 'U' brackets, which this picture doesn't show clearly - i.e. although they are miles above the wishbone end itself its that vertical edge on the chassis bracket they are very close to.

No comments :

Post a Comment