Monday 17 June 2013

High level brake light

Minor mod; addition of a third brake light, this is a LED unit but 12v rated so no need for extra resistors it wires directly into the loom. I took the +ve line to the brake pressure switch under the boot floor with a piggy back spade connector & the ground to the rear loom ground point.

I'm using a Carpoint 1510090 28 LED light unit, some of these lights also have a little 'stop' sign in the middle, I got one without & covered its mounting holes with a little black plastic. so should be reasonably weather proof. I also adjusted the mounting feet by removing a little of the rubber adhesive pads so it sits a little better on the round tube. The light is designed to fit on a rear windscreen or parcel shelf so will rotate - thus even though I did my best to mount it vertical - the angle can be tweaked up/down to aim the light correctly.

Mounted with 2x M4 bolts into tapped holes in the roll bar + the adhesive pads that come with the light:

I wanted to hide the wiring as much as possible so routed through the roll bar with a grommet either end to keep things tidy. For the exit point I couldn't see a straightforward way to drill a hole in the underside end of the bar without removing the offside wheel & shock, even then its possible there is no room for a hole - so instead discretely took the wire out just behind the drivers seat and down into the boot space, fished through with some garden wire:

Testing - all looks fine & a little more visible in the eye line of following cars. TBH my experience so far is most cars keep a wide berth behind - theres always the type that likes to sit on your bumper but most people give you plenty of room.

I did think about the option of a flashing unit - which can be added into the loom - it seems like its only legal in the UK if it flashes during emergency stops so decided against it.

No comments :

Post a Comment