Friday 25 September 2015

Heading home - Catalonia

The return was never planned in as much detail as outward; mostly a practical route back splitting the journey as evenly as possible, and to my taste, not returning the same way but heading further east and then north of Paris back to the boat.

The first leg out of Barcelona then a scenic route towards my overnight stop still in Spain. Rather Catalonia - everywhere along the route are Catalonian and independence flags...

Travelled across Barcelona to pick up the car for the final time, and then along the coast to just past Mataro before heading north for the hills. The coast road gives glimpses of the sea, but because the railway takes the on-coast position, mostly the sea view is not great.

More good driving and smooth Catalonian roads, a short stop at the Church of Sant Marti del Brull. Only the flag in the carpark giving away I'm not back in a Leone Spaghetti Western. No one here, notwithstanding a few cars around, the place is deserted.


My parking is not that bad, I just needed to get a shot of the car and the flag!

More cross country driving on the C-153: Vic, Rupit then Olot for a spot of lunch and to stretch my legs. The vistas still huge, but the mountains still way north.

Next pause around mid afternoon at Banyoles, and a chance to pickup a Separatist Catalonian flag;  They generally adorned many windows & balconies so I just had to have one. I did stop short of attaching it to the car though - possibly disrespectful.

Another wander through the old town to cool off...


Then on to my overnight stop near Verges, another reasonably cheap and cheerful bar come hotel. No english spoken so had to practice my smiles and sign language. Friendly people though and a good mixture in the bar of locals and workmen on their way home. 

Amusingly they did have an english version of the evening menu - but of course couldn't read it themselves so worked by matching the paragraphs I chose with their own Catalonian one - and thus I still got something I didn't order to eat. No-matter - well fed and watered on Estrella turned in for the night.

No comments :

Post a Comment