Sunday 27 September 2015

Long Haul - the slow day with a Great finale

There is always one day on a Holiday, especially on a homeward route where its just a bit - lacklustre, a bit - I want to be home... Nothing wrong with the location or the people,  my same smatterings of attempted French to on the fuel stops - the day was just a bit - meh.

Nothing appeared to be open - on a Sunday, everywhere sooo quiet. The normal cadence of lone driving broken up with activity to watch in villages was broken today - the villages were devoid of people. The temperature was dropping too - much more like home now.

Turned the radio on for the first time - loud, some loud rock to try and get my mood up; kind of worked, then a stop - as I came over the bridge into Cercy-la-Tour a couple of things of note
  a. The wide canal and some boats to look at.
  b. A huge white statue of Mary towering over the town



There she is - behind the encircling stone wall...

Top right...

No idea why, i.e. other than the obvious Catholic relevance, but why does this place needs such a huge statue?


Casteland

My final night I had booked what looked like a quiet out of the way B&B. It was too - what I missed until I walked through the door was the Movie reference in its name, and the themed nature of the establishment- the penny didn't drop with the name - Cast Land (in English) nor my room Oscar (as in the gold prize type things for movies)

The owner Mr C.Andrey was just seeing the other guests out for dinner when I turned up. He has possibly less English than I have French ( and I dont have much), but very friendly.

He produced this picture for his own Facebook page 'October News' and while it might look setup, its literally me on my way out to the local town for an evening meal and his dog on cue deciding he/she had to be in shot.

The farmhouse had been renovated years before; looks normal - very tidy on the outside...

Inside first the lounge - which immediately put me in mind of Olivier's character's front room from the 1972 movie Sleuth, complete with Billiards table, Suit of Armour, open fire, rocking horse, globe.. etc...

...then beyond through the archway, a small cinema.. not home theatre - literally cinema, celluloid oversize film on the walls alongside various film memorabilia and old-school projector. I asked Mr Andrey to stay in shot. Behind him in the cabinet various camera equipment, and along the shelf examples of all the 007 Bond cars from the movies.

Fantastic place very eccentric - good accommodation, good dinner suggestions and local knowledge, good spread for breakfast, and very friendly host.

All set for the last leg tomorrow, north of Paris to catch the boat from Dieppe around 17:00

No comments :

Post a Comment