Sunday 26 June 2016

Berlin - Sightseeing

No cars on this post; just a record of some sightseeing in Berlin before the return journey.

I'm not really a city person  - but - if you can explore on foot, wander around and find things, then its a good fit for me - I don't particularly like guided tours, much prefer exploring and finding things. On the downside I probably miss a lot, on the upside its like some sort of personal adventure!

Saturday

After work a bite to eat  in the evening and a wander down to Modersohnstrasse Bridge and catching the end of the sunset with a beer in hand. The rest of the team have more sense than me - one colleague and his girlfriend live in Berlin, my Boss and his wife flew in.



Sunday

Pariser Platz

I  go for a general wander - everything in walking distance from the hotel:

Pariser Platz & Brandenburg gate, strange angles due to a huge TV screen and hoardings  setup on the other side of the gate which I'm trying to hide in the pictures. Ironic really - the wall has been down for 27 years, but I still can't walk or see through the gate due to some 'capitalist' event.


Reichstag

Then to the Reichstag,

Some more modernist government buildings opposite, I'm not the only one attracted to this building - there was some sort of fashion photo shoot going on in front of it at the same time.

The Berlin Wall route marked running past it and down to the river, Crosses showing failed attempts at crossing in the 1961 to 1989 period - the last of them only 9 months before the wall came down.
All the buildings surrounding the river modernist and striking.

Friedrichstrasse Station

Along the river bank towards Friedrichstrasse Station - looks interesting - and I found out later not just to me - apparently used in a scene from one of the Bourne films - Jason jumps from the bridge during an escape.

I pick up a city tour boat here, the weather is perfect for a river trip - still warm and a little cooler nearer the water. The ticket seller a very gruff middle aged lady - my imagination has her as some sort of Rosa Klebb figure - not to be crossed! She turned out really helpful and a character - let me on the boat first, and saluted as I passed on the tour in either direction - worth a tip.


...the view from the boat a chance to look for things to visit next ...

Some typical? concrete faced blocks in the old East Berlin,

Next to the modern buildings the old Cathedral,

... and some interesting optical illusions on the facade of these office blocks, architecture 'of its time' is fascinating...



Fernsahturm de Berlin

...after the boat, a wander along the river bank towards the TV tower,

... and inside - built in 1969 it still shows off some of the stlye of that era - dark wood, aluminium cast handrails and fittings -  awesome,


There is a fair queue for tickets and to get to the top - but I've come this far...

...230m high to the viewing deck the lift very smooth but apparently runs around 20kmh & has a skylight so you can see the lift shaft above.

I can see the pub from here!


Olympic Stadium

Then a trip outside town to the 1936 Olympic stadium.
It has had a number of re-builds since then, but retains many of the orginal features from the games as well as features recognisable from scenes in the Quiller Memorandum filmed in the mid 60s.

This is a must visit - and the guided tour excellent.

Feels like George Segal or Alec Guiness will be hiding around a corner somewhere.




Monday

Checkpoint charlie


Somehow the leaving American sector direction is more appealing!

Jewish Memorial

Quiet in the centre of the city.

Great city - especially the old East Berlin if you are into Spy Movies!
English is the second language almost everywhere to-boot and everyone I met friendly and helpful.

I do find cities tiring though - so many people - but also lonely places at the same time, need to get back on the road and find some space.

No comments :

Post a Comment