Saturday 11 March 2017

5v USB Power x4

USB Power requirements

I usually have my camera and Satnav running when driving.
If I also run the bluetooth headset, or need to top up my phone I run short on USB power outlets.

Generally need 2x permanent and 1x temporary.

12v to 5v USB adaptors

Until this point I have a twin USB adaptor that plugs into the normal lighter socket.

Replaced the lighter socket, plug in, USB adaptor with a custom unit (left), unfortunately it supplied too high a voltage ~5.2v and on power down caused my SatNav to hard reboot. The unit on the right was obtained from Ebay with the original build - supplies more stable voltage but takes a little more work to install.


Power calc

4x 5v @ ~1A, worst case, should draw 20 watts.
20 watts from the 12v feed is around 0.6 amps.
To be fed from the same fused circuit as the lighter socket.

Install

I wanted flexibility on location, or removal if it causes issues, hence the need for connector and flying lead. The enclosure is a modified off the shelf project box.

For the connector I decided on a GX12 aviation style plug/socket. Very nice connector which is cheap, keyed, has a locking ring, cable clamp, supports a couple of amps and can be obtained with anywhere from 2 to 8 pins.

Wired the GX12 socket into a new bracket on the aux panel for the same 12v feed that goes to the lighter socket, but in an extendible way.

Now the tricky part - space is limited under the dash - I'll probably mount the box as pictured, potentially on velcro so I can add/remove it depending on the trip requirements, needs a little drive testing to find the optimal spot.

Thats the last mod before Ireland, just a little fluids checks and shake down runs and touch wood I'm all-set.

No comments :

Post a Comment