Sunday 26 March 2017

Cahir Castle, Mizzen Head and Healy Pass

Up reasonably early at Duncannon, weather is still great with not a cloud in the sky. Lots planned for today - all along the south coast, past Mizzen head

Questions from the public so far include:

Can I take a picture?
To which the answer is, of course, always yes, and sit in the car if you like.

Is that road legal?
Which I understand is because of lack of windscreen discs, Irish cars all seem to have at least 3

Have you got a roof?
Which I could not work out - my luck with the weather is obviously not typical!



Excalibur

First stop is not on the coast road, roughly west, but heading inland to Cahir who's castle was used for some external shots in John Boormans 80s Movie Excalibur, a long time favourite film!
I think the castle appears roughly reverse angle of this shot when Arthur is knighted by Uryens mid battle.



Schull

Past Cork, hit the coast road from Kinsale and then pause at Schull for picnic lunch. Stunning little bay, blue skies, a little wind - but perfect reason to pause for a while and watch owners playing with dogs in the waves.


Mizzen Head

The most westerly point, and time to pause again for a cup of tea (you have to love Ireland for their addiction to tea and ability to produce a decent mug - same as the UK) and a wander around the old Mizzen head station.

Permission sought/granted to pull right up to the visitor centre,

I'm not the greatest with heights and although the bridge to the point is incredibly solid I found myself walking exactly down the middle of it glancing up from my feet only a couple of times! I did manage some pictures - the views still fantastic - but so windy in places I felt sure my phone would be randomly pulled from my hands to never be seen again.

The platform top centre of picture is reachable, and amazingly strong wind - I stood there for a while and just soaked up the view,

Interesting rock formations, both inclined stratified rocks, folds and large flat areas. The sea around Ireland really does appear to be emerald green!


Healy Pass


Then some more miles around the coast road, arriving at my next campsite Hungry Hill on the Beara peninsula. The original plan was to camp then take the road north over Healy pass in the morning, however after chatting with the owner he recomended a trip up directly - the light was still with me and the roads hopefully would be clear around 18:30.

He wasn't wrong - what a run, not the fastest since I was a little tired, not knowing the road and the random factor of sheep but a great run none the less. 
The only other driver going my way let me pass when I got close and then stopped for a chat at the top about the location and the car.


Looking north from the top of the pass you can see forever!


More pillowy rock formations,

Then back the way I came down the south side,

To my now familiar overnight setup at Hungry Hill campsite.
Single pole tent can be put up inside 10 mins, single pot - so boil water, take off enough for tea, then add pasta sachet for evening meal.

The weather still with me, car also running fine - reverse still a little sticky, but no real issues.

No comments :

Post a Comment