Sunday 30 July 2017

Austria Route Planning

Route pretty much settled now, Eurotunnel to/from France then Franco/Belgium border to Germany. Eurotunnel booked, hotels booked.

The aim is to arrive in Vienna to attend a conference with work - the secondary aim is to find some interesting roads and visit a few key locations from childhood memories and favourite movies.

Out

  • Lichtenstein Castle - I used to have a model of it on the model railway Dad made when I was a kid.
  • Neuschwanstein Castle.
  • Grossglockner Pass - Added to my bucket list after seeing on the Hairy bikers!
  • Hohenwerfen Castle - Where Eagles Dare exteriors location (say no more!)
  • Vienna.

Return

  • Stelvio Pass.
  • Gotard Pass - Part of a route Dad took in the 60s in a MkIII Zodiac.
  • Furka Pass - Goldfinger location where Bond meets Tilly Masterson (Soames).

Route


The map is roughly right, although depending on mood/weather/conditions generally the plans may change. Google also likes to draw straight lines and find fast roads - whereas I plan to do the opposite - if a road presents itself that looks interesting then ad-hoc diversions are the order of the day.

Especially weather - I'm right at the end of the season - if the weather turns, then mountain passes will turn into tunnel runs and me holed up somewhere warm with a beer and some good food instead!

Longest days are ~300 miles, shortest ~200 but on slower roads so driving hours around 5-6 per day.

Interactive Google Map

Plans are only ever a starting point...

When


Zero hour is tail end of September.

Daily updates


I plan to post entries after the event on the blog in the Vienna category
I also usually post once a day on my Facebook page - usually at least end of day 'I've stopped'  so those at home know I'm ok, potentially more depending on opportunity.

2 comments :

  1. Hi Richard! I was looking into these fun cars and had a few questions for you. Mainly, how is the Zero for a touring car? I am wanting something fun and fast, but also something that wouldn't kill the wife and I if we went on a week long trip. I would guess it helps if you install more forgiving suspension and quieter exhaust. I also suspect that the all weather kit would be a necessity. Also, did you install any sort of heater in the cockpit? Thanks for the input. They look so fun and I could probably build one from a Miata here in the states for under $10,000

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I love it as a touring car - very windy, and to be honest, if the weather is bad you are going to get wet, but the benefits! The 360 views, its like high speed open country hiking and a little rain never hurt anybody!

    Provided you can travel light then 2 for a week is possible - boot/luggage space is very limited, but thats part of the draw - back to basics/minimal touring out in the elements.

    You will get as much noise from wind buffeting as the exhaust, I use ear defenders when I want a quieter drive. Suspension can be adjusted to your like with adjustable shocks - soft to hard.

    Check out the links on my road trips page, and or videos page to get a feel for it;
    https://richards-gbs-zero.blogspot.co.uk/p/drives.html
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGQQML0X4pFAAsFIOqlL_zQ

    I do have a heater - search in the search box... but again - think more motorcycle and clothe yourself/passenger as such and you wont go far wrong - layers and waterproofs etc. I only used the roof two or three times in 4 years - most of the time prefer just being outside in the weather and enjoying the experience.

    The best toy I built/owned for a long time!

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete