Tuesday 25 July 2017

Flick wipe steering wheel switch

Moving the flick wipe switch from its initial position on the aux panel up to the steering wheel. The original position needs me to take my hands from the wheel and the button wasn't the best for finding with gloves on.

The new button - stainless and weatherproof. I made a small bracket from an aluminium offcut.

One 3.2mm hole into the side of the hub - after much discussion on whether that was a good idea - de-burred and sealed with glue to prevent any possibility of chafing. The bracket attaches on the back of an existing steering wheel bolt - so shouldn't affect safety in terms of wheel attachment.

My column is earthed - I found if I actively earth the mounting bracket, blue wire and eyelet, it also earths the top of the column and hub. There must be a conductive bushing inside the top column casting.

An earthed steering hub means the 2x contacts on the slip ring can be used for separate circuits. Horn takes one, my new flick wipe button the other. Both are intermittent and low current, activating relay coils.

That is much better - just where I can find it with my left thumb and without getting in the way of normal driving. Wiper stalk up one click - then each push on the button gives exactly one windscreen wiper cycle.

Update -
Found a friendly shower to test the flick wipe today - much better location - I can keep my hands on the wheel which is especially important in wet conditions as demonstrated in this short clip:

No comments :

Post a Comment