Thursday 21 June 2012

Removable spare wheel/luggage carrier

I had the chassis altered in manufacture to accommodate a removable spare wheel carrier. GBS did a great job - the only thing I would have done differently is thread the lower rather than upper holes. I am going to bond a couple of steel stainless + painted washers (steel over the hole to block it & painted to avoid any reaction with the ally fuel tank) between these holes and the fuel tank which sits above to avoid any possibility of a long bolt puncturing the tank.

It seems everyone does without spares on sevens, but it just feels wrong to me - so I hedged my bets, this carrier can be removed relatively simply if I end up doing track days or dually serve as a luggage rack. 

This will take the weight, and only need a threaded rod/securing cable and lock from the centre of the wheel through a hole in the back panel to secure it:



It is entirely within the height of the rear tube, so will need only a couple of holes in the back panel & will let me add a diffuser, which mounts flush with the underside of this chassis bar, in due course:

No comments :

Post a Comment