Wednesday 22 August 2012

Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve - 2


IACV First part continued...

The marked up billet:

I Drilled out and the 4x holes on Dad's drill press & then cut out the remaining shape with a hacksaw. The most time consuming step was attaching the grille - I managed to break off one drill bit in its hole,  then my shortened screws had to be handled gently to tap the holes:

Cut a couple of gaskets;

Finished and ready to install on the plenum, The plenum will need 3x holes, one for air inlet and 2x for the bolts either side to hold everything in place. The IACV should then allow air from outside the plenum - through the grille/filter - through the valve and through the single hole into the inlet manifold.

There is a flat area on the plenum just behind the butterfly valve to mount it - I'm going to wait until the engine is in before going further though to make sure I don't mount the IACV in the way of some other component.

I may run a wire through the sponge cut a longer piece of sponge and sandwich under the grille to ensure it cannot be pulled into the valve due to manifold vacuum.


All in all took a couple of hours work - but pretty much came out as planned.

Update - This valve and mount have worked fine for 4 years, however re-reading my design.
The valve holes are 16mm diameter ~ 201mm area, whereas the inlet on the 10mm mount is only 180mm area. If I were to re-do this, or may even revisit it, the air intake slot in the mount should be ~22mm wide all the way to the back of the hole to provide an unrestricted air volume.