Sunday 9 September 2012

Plenum - install

Air Sensor

Final jobs on the plenum to install - first the air temp sensor, I used a little instant gasket to make sure it has a good seal:

Gasket

I cut out a gasket for the plenum, I'm not really sure if this is necessary or not - the plenum mounts on the remains of the OEM air intake which is plastic, so some sort of union between the two would seem like a good idea (also saw Simon Bradley used one on his blog). Removed and cleaned up the intake hole cut outs after this picture:
Note; My installation suffered from air leaks once running; this gasket was re-visited and re-installed with instant gasket either side to ensure an air tight seal against the plastic adaptor.


Ready to install

All set:

I checked the length of the GBS supplied bolts which replace the OEM ones by winding into the blind holes (see general paranoia about winding things in too far and damaging the casting); all good - simply bolts on to the plastic adaptor which holds the fuel rail and injectors. The fuel rail had to come off to allow access to all the plenum mounting bolts. The IACV is sitting in just the right place to let its plug & loom miss the two chassis rails:

Reinstalled the fuel rail

With hindsight, its a good idea to get some of the engine loom in place - especially the injector loom before putting the fuel rail back on. Its not impossible with everything in place, just more tricky.

Close up of the 'busy' end of the fuel rail - my modified fuel inlet pipe, the plenum vacuum pipe & the engine loom socket all in close proximity, just out of shot is the cam cover breather pipe too. There's quite a dint in that fuel line pipe where I bent it into a different direction - I'm hoping its ok - I'm also hedging my bets by obtaining another fuel rail pipe as a backup incase I decide to re-work this area.