Wednesday 12 September 2012

Reversing & Fog Lamp modification

I'm waiting for some heat shrink sleave before I fix the loom into place; so next job is a small but fiddly one.

The Reversing & Fog lamp bodies need adjusting to sit vertically on the rear panel which slopes inwards slightly. I believe only the Fog lamp is checked at IVA, but it makes sense to have both the same. The bodies need to sit 8mm out at the top to sit correctly, however I don't think you can just take a slice off the back since the reflector uses the entire depth of the case.


Therefore I ended up rebating the bottom half of the back 4mm and packing out the top half 4mm to give the same angle:

Dremel @ 15k rpm & a plastic cutting disc to cut the bottom edge back:

Then I used the wider trim around the top edge. The curved ends again cut with the Dremel & the sides need sanding & cutting back a little to give a straight edge:

Before starting the second I double checked which way up it goes. The pre-drilled loom holes in the back panel are inboard of each fitting, they must line up with the holes in each lamp case, meaning one sits upside down:

I think it looks ok & ready to fit.