Friday 22 March 2013

Silencer bracket guard

One of my fail points was the rear silencer fixing. GBS haven't had any issues with this and  installed, as I have done, with the hook turned inwards so the 100mm sphere cannot contact any sharp edges. However its the spring itself & the two black lugs on the bracket which my inspector had issue with, I think he was almost disappointed at not being able to get at those corners on the hook & couldn't find any other exerior (or interior) projections :)

I could argue the point, but this one is relatively easily solved with a heat shield style guard. Regulation states any contactable edge must be rolled 180ยบ back on itself - other than that I think I'm ok. I attached it with a jubilee clip to the existing bracket:

My metalwork isn't up to the point where this coould be polished so I've opted for the brushed finish. The guard is 1.5mm aluminium but doesn't touch the exhaust anywhere so heat shouldn't be a problem:

I think the 100mm sphere will only touch the trailing edge, which I hammered back on itself & can't get at the jubilee clip or underneath. The guard sits on & bent around the silencer bracket just where it goes into a 'Y' shape so its locked solidly in place:

I hope thats ticks the box on this issue.

Hindsight - I might fold back the bottom outside edge too - just to make sure

Update - This disappointingly fell off on the first long run due to vibration fatigue. For the second round IVA a much simpler approach - a strip of rubber approx 10cmx2cm cable tied onto the spring.

No comments :

Post a Comment