Sunday 6 October 2013

Hood frame - Mk 2


I'm trying something different for the hood to windscreen attachment. My previous version would have lifted in the centre too easily so this U channel version should avoid that. Its just stock aluminium channel from Wickes:

Notching the aluminium will take away strength but should not affect what I need - i.e. fore/aft hold. The ends either side will be held down to the windscreen pillars:

That fits fine - possibly too tight a fit since it will have the roof material wrapped over it - it does seem to have more potential than the previous design:

A little work to find out the shape of the corners - I really want a single piece of fabric over the top, so used some paper templates to understand how the corners might work. This looks reasonable, a couple of pleats then its just straight backwards:

Unfolding shows how much over each side:

I'll think on it for a while before actually cutting cloth...

No comments :

Post a Comment