Sunday 1 December 2013

Wind deflectors V2

I Started thinking about doors, but ended up re-working the wind deflector design. The door template ended up being incredibly long so really if doors are going on the hinge point should be further back than the windscreen pillar.

I only had enough 4mm PETG left for one side so built a template and one deflector to check it out - each deflector is about 2' tall & 16" deep. I ran into problems bending the PETG, the combined factors of colder ambient temperature and large area of plastic meant it was a real struggle to get enough heat into it and bend.. I may have to invest in a cheap heat gun for the other side & give my wife her hair dryer back.


The deflector comes back roughly level with the back of the steering wheel but not so far it impedes getting in/out of the car:

I took it out for a little test run - this is certainly an improvement over my first design, now I can feel the heater air around the wheel and less need for gloves especially on the offside hand. The 4mm PETG is very stable, no movement/flutter or vibration even at speed.

The next step to think about is a secure fixing against the side of the car & a simple hinge arrangement for half/full doors off the trailing edge. I think these deflectors will effectively be permanent, possible lift off doors to be fixed to their rear edge, possible re-enforcing aluminium U channel along the trailing edge.

Update - reverted to the original simple design for a couple of years now, don't deflect the wind as much as stop the front wheels catapulting anything from the road into my face.

2 comments :

  1. Hi Richard, do you have a template i could reuse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not for these - although I dont use them anymore - I reverted to the old simpler ones - there are dimensions on that page:
    https://richards-gbs-zero.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/wind-deflectors.html

    Start with a cardboard template - then when its close go for the plastic.

    ReplyDelete