Sunday 8 June 2014

Wipers, Mats & Daytime running lights

A few random fixes and enhancements:

Wipers

Scotland tested, and promptly bent the drivers side wiper - partly because I had focused so much on the right sweep area on the screen I ended up with the wiper arm connecting to the blade off centre, this meant a twisting force on the joint which bent as the screen dried slightly.

Old Wiper top right, the new arms also have adjustable length so this time I could trim the hidden end of the arm and leave the raised 'button' in place to secure the wiper itself. This time the wiper blades were trimmed evenly either end:

Mats

The driver's side carpet under the pedals has worn, so a modified rubber mat tailored and installed to see if that creates a more durable heel support. Four mats, presumably door mats, were left in my garage when I moved in years ago and perfect for this job. I riveted on a couple of small velcro pads which grip the carpet underneath and hopefully stop the mat moving or riding up:


Daytime Running Lights

A more interesting mod - some DRLs, found from ebay and took an age to ship from China but perfect size to sit on the suspension top arms and a bargain at under £10 for the pair shipped. Aluminium cases, waterproof with 3x LEDs/Lenses on each side & mounted with threaded rods. I saw Andy's car on the Scottish road-trip with something similar and liked the idea. They add that bit more visibility and avoid the sombody else's problem effect with other drivers not noticing me driving towards them.

Still not quite wired in, I have a circuit that will disable the DRLs when side or main beam are turned on to avoid blinding on coming traffic in low light conditions. Position is working well though:

I'm also planning some changes to the auxiliary control panel under the dash, when that happens it will have an override switch to manually turn off the DRLs as required.

No comments :

Post a Comment