Sunday 1 October 2017

Furka Pass 2,429m

Furka pass - my favourite so far!

The run in from Gotthard still in the clouds, following a nice old Porsche - black and white plates so must have been 60s - then the roads emptied, cloud cleared and just jaw dropping scenes. Start with the parking spot cut through convoluted rocks,

...then THE view, I stopped here for a while and recorded a short live sequence to Facebook, I just could not believe what I was seeing. 

My road along the right weaving down into the valley then crosses over. That is around a 1,000m drop to my hotel in Oberwald. Grimsel pass is in the distance weaving up the right hand side - that is for tomorrow!

Incredible view - I stopped here for a while and just watched those clouds ever so slowly rolling off the mountainside. A picture cannot do justice to the scene - the scale of these places has to be seen in person.

The run down relatively clear with a view around every corner.
These pictures from the bottom showing the pass - with the hotel part way down on the far mountain.

 Some narrow-gauge workings at the bottom,

The road down in the distance again - late afternoon and the cloud looks like its clearing from the top now.

Hotel Ahorni

My hotel 'Hotel Ahorni' about 10-15 minutes down the road in Oberwald, really friendly place with great food. The staff doing their best with my absence of German! I lucked out with a balcony room - views even from here fantastic.

Next door this traditional chalet, looks like it has been modernised inside.
 

Love the unfinished board lengths on the side.

This street, save the tarmac & streetlight, has probably looked the same forever!

The view from the edge of town.

Great driving day - first the rather slow ascent to Gotthard in the cloud, but then the clear run from Gotthard to Furka - and the Furka descent! Wow.

I Like Switzerland.

No comments :

Post a Comment