Sunday 4 February 2018

Volts - dashboard LED indicator

Couple of hours spent on a project to enhance battery voltage reading.
The unit I'm installing produces various LED colour combinations to flag over and under voltage, so the same information as the existing dial based volt meter - except - its in a more 'in my face' or 'read out of the corner of my eye'  way.

I know I'm tight on electrical power when pausing in traffic with idle revs and headlights on, i.e. usually right at the end of a long road trip. I usually only remember when I start to lose smooth idle. Hopefully this LED catch my eye and I'll be ready to manage the revs a little.

Simple tap into the existing volt meter loom - just need the +ve and -ve feeds.

The 5mm LED discretely installed next to the volt meter, if you didn't know it was there you'd probably miss it.

The widget is a self contained micro-controller and RGB LED, sold by Gammatronix on Ebay at a delivered price less than I could have achieved with off the shelf parts.

Two modes to show alternator output/charging or static battery levels. I'm interested in the former so cut the yellow line - potentially a pushbutton across that line would allow both modes.

All tests fine on the bench, road tests will have to wait until I re-install the main high current power distribution circuits via a battery top fusebox.

Update - works fine, the LED isn't super bright so could do with a recessed bezel, but indicates when on charge fine.

No comments :

Post a Comment