Sunday 2 March 2014

Half Hood Mk2

Another try at the half hood & this time a version which will actually see the road...

I'm using my most recent windscreen hood frame at the front with a simple wide hem to contain it & an opening at one end so I can remove it if need be. The frame is stiff enough (subject to road testing) to stop the middle lifting with either end held securely to the windscreen uprights.

The front is held down with a lift-the-dot fastener either side of the windscreen; while marking up I just pushed the stud through the fabric:

Nearside was cut first:

Underneath I'm cross bracing to the hold down straps at the rear (reason later) and the side edges have webbing sewn in to re-enforce them:

This is the result, all edges have bias tape to neaten them which makes a neat job and easier than hemming. The fabric I'm using doesn't take a crease & you can't iron it heavily due to the waterproof backing. There are pleats at the rear corners to fit over the roll bar - otherwise its completely flat - just takes a lot of trial and error to get the shape right.

In situ with bracing tensioned up. The rear attachment points are again a couple of lift-the-dot fasteners on the back panel which I had installed on the first roof attempt which allow the straps to come up through the boot cover joints:

















The reason for cross bracing and not just square bracing is so the side can be rolled back slightly making entry/exit a little easier. There will be another strap to hold this down in due course:

Its the best attempt so far..    I'm much happier with the windscreen attachment on this version, just the rear corner straps to make (not today) and I can test it. I'm expecting the whole thing to balloon up  when the car is moving due to the low pressure so not overly worried by the sagging at the sides.

If it doesn't work I can always add some more tension straps..

... or just get wet!

2 comments :

  1. Looks good
    Did it work
    Just to confirm the only thing holding it to the front frame is the 2 side fixings.
    I want to have a go and making my own when the car is built.
    Mike Bentley
    michaelbentley42@gmail.com

    PS did you make your own windscreen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - it works, TBH I dont use it much - prefer the sky to a roof,
    This version tested in scotland here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDR0-Vq1fdM

    I also revised this version without the cross straps - any stitching will leak.
    http://richards-gbs-zero.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/half-hood-final-version.html
    Tested in the netherlands (right at the end of this post):http://richards-gbs-zero.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/operation-chastise-dambusters-dams.html

    Fixed at the sides with lift the dot, and a cosy fitting U channel over the top of the windscreen.

    ReplyDelete